RULES FOR GRASSROOTS PUBLISHERS
Publishers requesting membership must conform to the requirements for Grassroots publishers. These are:
- Publishers must be independent and free of conglomerate or State ownership.
- The publication must be launched prior to application.
- The publication must be published a minimum of 6 times per year.
- The publication must be in a printed format.
- The publication must be published on a consistent frequency.
- The publisher must subscribe to the Press Council’s Code
- The publisher must subscribe to the Advertising Standards Authority Code.
Application for membership must be made by completing and signing the prescribed application form, as well as the questionnaire. Both documents as well as the prescribed fee must be submitted to the ABC offices. A copy of the latest issue must accompany the questionnaire
Membership will be granted once the ABC has authenticated the information on the questionnaire.
Members are required to adhere to a Code of Conduct. In particular, they agree:
- To act, at all times, with the utmost good faith;
- To ensure that information provided to the ABC is in no way inaccurate, misleading, or distorted;
- To respect the trademarks and copyrights of other members;
- To promote and sell space on the merits of the member’s own title, and not use promotion or selling methods that disparage other members or titles;
- To deal honestly and fairly with advertisers and suppliers.
Members may, during the period of membership, display the unaltered ABC Grassroots logo, as well as the latest certified print run on letterheads, publications and promotional material, stating that the figure is a certified print run.
If a member resigns, or his membership is terminated, he forfeits all rights in terms of these rules. He may not use the logo.
Membership will be terminated if:
- The member is sequestrated or liquidated;
- The member is held by the Board of Directors of the ABC to have brought the ABC into disrepute;
- The member is held by the Board of Directors of the ABC to have violated the Code of Conduct;
- The member has not submitted the data as required by clause 12, within the stipulated time.
A member whose membership has been terminated may re-apply for membership after a period of 6 months. The Board of Directors of the ABC, at its sole discretion, will approve re-instatement, subject to suitable motivation.
Members acknowledge and agree that the ABC owns all material existing in the Grassroots Summary Report. Copyright of the Grassroots Certificate vests jointly with the ABC and the member concerned. Copyright of the Grassroots logo vests with the ABC.
Submission cycles are the six month periods ended 30 June and 31 December each year
The deadline for submission of printer’s invoices and the completed questionnaires is 31 July (for the period ended 30 June) and 31 January (for the period ended 31 December).A copy of the latest issue of the publication must be submitted.
Within one month of the deadline date, the ABC will validate the information, and thereafter issue a certificate, which will be valid for the next 6 months (1 September to 28 February, or 1 March to 31 August).
The member agrees to the ABC performing random checks on the information supplied by the member, including direct contact with the printer and other relevant parties. Should it be established that the information is in any way inaccurate, the certificate will immediately be withdrawn, and all members informed accordingly.
Any sanction for submission of inaccurate information will be determined by the Board of Directors of the ABC.
These rules are effective from 15 November, 2010 and are applicable to certificates to be issued for periods commencing from 1 July 2010.